Tuesday 22 January 2008

Early photos of Ferriter family in Ballyferriter

A look into the past, from Morgan Ferriter, Donegal, Ireland. These are two shots I scanned from a book called West Kerry Camera. I am not sure exactly who the Ferriter men in the shot below are, someone else may be better able to shed light on this.







All these men but one, are from the parish of Ballyferriter.

Front roW, from left: Tomas O Fearghusa, Séan Feiritéar, Tomas Óg Feiritéar.

Back row, from left: __?, Tomás Feiritéar, Séamus Feiritéar (with son Brendan), Johnny Ó Guithín (Dunquin)













Trif ghIdin Feirtarach Thforabhin i bPariste an Fheirtaraigh 1907. (Feirtear family in Ballyferriter parish taken 1907. Three generations of the Feirtear family in this photograph.)
Chun tosaigh // front row, from left: Seamas, Brid, Murchadh and Seosamh. LaIstiar // back row, from left: Maire, Brid (grandmother), Neil (mother), Siobhan (in Neil's arms), Seainin (grandfather), Eoghan and Muiris (father).My Grandfather, Morgan, is the child in the front with the white pinafore.














Ballyferriter, 1907.
In the photo are the Fitzgeralds pictured dipping sheep with the Ferriters. 4th from the left standing, is Eoghan Feirtear, and behind him is Seainin Feirtear with the hat. The girl wth the shawl is Marie Fitzgerald.


4 comments:

Seoirse said...

MOrgan - What interesting photos! I often wonder if those of us who have lived in the USA for some generations have lost the "feel" of stone cabins and thatched roofs! Life was not easy for those generations of Irishmen who lived on the fringe of West Kerry. Thanks for posting these,

George

Unknown said...

Ha Haw!!! thats soooo funny!! the first pic- Seamus Feirtéar was my grandfather and thats my uncle Breandán in his arms!!!!!!awwwwhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!1

Unknown said...

Hi kazza, I posted those photos some months back, I got them in a book called West Kerry Camera...glad you were able to identify someone in the photo...
Morgan

Unknown said...

Seamus is my uncle and Breandan is my cousin. My mom, Helen Eileen is his sister. Guess we are related kazza.