Tuesday 25 December 2007

A Prelude

 It is Christmas Evening, and feeling somewhat reflective, I am writing. Over the past month or so, I have written a couple of historical notes, and will so again. My next backward-looking piece will be about myself, but not now. Right now, I am writing in thanksgiving for all I have and have had. The Birth of the Son steers us all back to light, and in this world, this Holiday marks the advent of longer days, and a return to warmth, sunshine, spring and summer. Remember this now, and always.

 O.K., one more thing. About us Ferriters. I have a sense that every Ferriter family line regards itself as the "Principal Line". Most Ferriters that I have met seem to have this belief closeted away somewhere. I am not quite sure how this arises, but I suspect that it has something to do with having a rare name, and a history that few others know. Living in relative isolation from one another - sometimes unaware of the existence of other people having  the same surname -we  Ferriters have tended to cherish this sense of being singular, which in turn leads to this notion that our particular branch is the Main line.


 No worries! The parts of the Family that remained in Ireland, and flourished there have a better understanding of how our lineages have played out - that there may be parallel lines, but there also may not be any single branch that stands like some sort of primary trunk. We all have equal standing here.


 We all have equal claim to our heritage - it is our common and collective set of experiences, after all.

George Ferriter
Wisconsin, USA
FFG2009

No comments: